Auto Repair Q&A



Cooling System










Auto Repair Products

i have a 99 dodge durango battery keeps dying checked alternator and battery both are good gonna test for parasitic drain with multimeter does anyone know what the normal standby drain is on this car

about 35 milla amps, make

about 35 milla amps, make when you are pulling the inside fuses you keep the door shut for a min. or so , the central timmer needs to power down.
i'll check on chryslers service info. site to see if they have a flow chart for draw tests, the central timmer can give you a false reading if you donn't know how to test it.

let me know what you think,

let me know what you think, mws919

The term Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. A normal vehicle electrical system will draw from five to twenty-five milliamperes (0.005 to 0.025 ampere) with the ignition switch in the Off position, and all non-ignition controlled circuits in proper working order. The twenty-five milliamperes are needed to enable the memory functions for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other electronic modules which may vary with the vehicle equipment.

A vehicle that has not been operated for approximately twenty days, may discharge the battery to an inadequate level. When a vehicle will not be used for twenty days or more (stored), remove the IOD fuse from the Junction Block (JB) This will reduce battery discharging.

Excessive IOD can be caused by:

?Electrical items left on.
?Faulty or improperly adjusted switches.
?Faulty or shorted electronic modules and components.
?An internally shorted generator.
?Intermittent shorts in the wiring.
If the IOD is over twenty-five milliamperes, the problem must be found and corrected before replacing a battery. In most cases, the battery can be charged and returned to service after the excessive IOD condition has been corrected.

1.Verify that all electrical accessories are off. Turn off all lamps, remove the ignition key, and close all doors. If the vehicle is equipped with an illuminated entry system or an electronically tuned radio, allow the electronic timer function of these systems to automatically shut off (time out) This may take up to three minutes. See the Electronic Module Ignition-Off Draw table for more information.
Radio No 1 to 3 milliamperes N/A
Audio Power Amplifier No up to 1 milliampere N/A
Central Timer Module (CTM) No 3.95 milliamperes N/A
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) No 0.96 milliampere N/A
ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) No 0.42 milliampere N/A
Combination Flasher No 0.07 milliampere N/A

2.Determine that the under-hood lamp is operating properly, then disconnect the lamp wire harness connector or remove the lamp bulb.
3.Disconnect the battery negative cable.
4.Set an electronic digital multi-meter to its highest amperage scale. Connect the multi-meter between the disconnected battery negative cable terminal clamp and the battery negative terminal post. Make sure that the doors remain closed so that the illuminated entry system is not activated. The multi-meter amperage reading may remain high for up to three minutes, or may not give any reading at all while set in the highest amperage scale, depending upon the electrical equipment in the vehicle. The multi-meter leads must be securely clamped to the battery negative cable terminal clamp and the battery negative terminal post. If continuity between the battery negative terminal post and the negative cable terminal clamp is lost during any part of the IOD test, the electronic timer function will be activated and all of the tests will have to be repeated.
5.After about three minutes, the high-amperage IOD reading on the multi-meter should become very low or nonexistent, depending upon the electrical equipment in the vehicle. If the amperage reading remains high, remove and replace each fuse or circuit breaker in the Power Distribution Center (PDC), the Junction Block (JB) and the relay and fuse block one at a time (refer to Power Distribution Center, Junction Block and Fuse/Fuse Block in the index of this service manual for the location of complete PDC, JB and relay and fuse block fuse and circuit breaker identification contained in the wiring diagrams) until the amperage reading becomes very low, or nonexistent. This will isolate each circuit and identify the circuit that is the source of the high-amperage IOD. If the amperage reading remains high after removing and replacing each fuse and circuit breaker, disconnect the wire harness from the generator. If the amperage reading now becomes very low or nonexistent, refer to Charging System in the index of this service manual for the location of the proper charging system diagnosis and testing procedures. After the high-amperage IOD has been corrected, switch the multi-meter to progressively lower amperage scales and, if necessary, repeat the fuse and circuit breaker remove-and-replace process to identify and correct all sources of excessive IOD. It is now safe to select the lowest milliampere scale of the multi-meter to check the low-amperage IOD
CAUTION: Do not open any doors, or turn on any electrical accessories with the lowest milliampere scale selected, or the multi-meter may be damaged.

6.Observe the multi-meter reading. The low-amperage IOD should not exceed twenty-five milliamperes (0.025 ampere) If the current draw exceeds twenty-five milliamperes, isolate each circuit using the fuse and circuit breaker remove-and-replace process in Step 5. The multi-meter reading will drop to within the acceptable limit when the source of the excessive current draw is disconnected. Repair this circuit as required; whether a wiring short, incorrect switch adjustment, or a component failure is at fault.

so i did the test with

so i did the test with multimeter set to dc 10a and got a reading of 4.9 removed the interior lamp fuse and it dropped to 0.1 did i do this correctly and do you think this will fix the problem?

was the light on during

was the light on during test"door open?"

no to both

no to both

how long did you wait while

how long did you wait while it was at 4.9 amps, if the central timmer didn't time out yet you'd have that reading.
you should wait for a few min. while watching meter, it should drop after a few min., if not it has a draw.

You stated you used a

You stated you used a "multimeter".



Connect the black wire to the common input on the multimeter and the red wire to the 10 or 20 amp input on the multimeter. The meter needs to be able to read at least a 2 or 3 amps for the test to work. Connecting the red wire to the milliamp input on the multimeter wont work.

Remember to set your multimeter to measure "AMPS". Connect the meter in series between the negative cable and the negative battery post. Wait a few seconds to several minutes for the car to go into sleep mode after the series connection. A vehicle's computer systems "Wake Up" after a bit of time then they will go back to "Sleep".

?If everything is normal, you

?If everything is normal, you will read less than 35 milliamps, or .035 amps. If the current drain is higher than that, you need to find out what is draining your batteries: You can start by pulling fuses until the load goes away. If that doesn't reduce the draw, you need to look for a wire that is corroded or frayed.

But don't the basics, check the BAt wire at the alternator for corrosion, clean battery terminals etc, and check for damaged or corroded wires from battery to alternator. (I know that you've already did this but we have to say it anyway).

did you find the draw?

did you find the draw?

the draw is coming from the

the draw is coming from the interior lights i pulled the fuse and noticed that the radio went off too the fuse box says that these things should be on two different fuses so something must be crossed my temporary fix has been to remove the fuse when the car is off so it cant drain the battery until i can afford to take it in and get it fixed

did the radioi stop playing

did the radioi stop playing or just the light/clock go out?
there's 2 fuses for the radio, one is for the radio/tape player and the other is for the radio clock/light and that fuse is also used for the interior lights.
but it still sounds like you've narrow it down.

may have to remove radio and

may have to remove radio and with interior light installed check to see if the draw is eliminated (same as when you removed interior light). This will give you and idea of which wires to trace to look for the short--interior light or radio.